Friday, August 27, 2010

The Last Exorcism On Chatroulette

The Last Exorcism, the latest in the "Satan-GTFO-of-my-teenage-daughter" genre of films was released today, and while I was less than impressed by the trailers I've seen, reviews have been surprisingly decent. Being one of the last remaining people in America who still pays any attention to a film's critical reception, I'm finding myself swayed into actually kinda-sorta wanting to see it. Alas, it will most likely join the ranks of the other big(ish) summer movies that I wanted to see, but none of my friends had the slightest interest in, like Piranha 3-D, The Other Guys, Dinner For Schmucks, Despicable Me, and Predators.

One aspect of the film that I'm already a fan of, however, is the viral ad campaign using Chatroulette. Having not used the randomized sex chat service myself, I can only go by what I've heard and/or read about the site, which is that it's frequented mostly by horny teenage boys out to catch a glimpse of some boobs but usually only finding a lot of exposed wangs. These ingenious ads for the film take full advantage of the lust-addled minds of the site's users, using as bait an attractive young girl, who by all appearances seems to be looking for a naughty good time. The girl smiles and flirts, but never speaks. She begins to unbutton her shirt, giggling all the while, and just when her admirers are completely hooked, her eyes roll back in her head. And that's just the beginning.

I sort of feel bad for the ad's victims --a couple seem like they're going to be scarred for life-- but I can't deny the range of reactions are pretty damn funny. Kudos to the film's marketing department, though; they've come up with a creative, memorable campaign that definitely has people talking. And hopefully, actually going to see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment